Located at Strahan UMC
June 6-10 9:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Preschool - 5th grade
Join us on our journey through the Bible in 2022. We are using "The Bible Year" by author Magrey Devega. We will journey using the daily devotional book, videos and podcasts, small groups and worship. Learn your way, and learn how to work through the hard, dry parts of the Bible as well as the violent and troublesome parts. We hope you will take this journey with us!
Week One Details:
Greetings to all!
Are you ready for Week 1 of “The Bible Year” as we start this journey together!? Whether you are traveling by way of the daily devotionals, Sunday worship and sermons, podcasts or videos, (and later, small groups), whatever works for you, we are journeying together. The journey started last week, January 16th, as I shared how reading scripture daily has transformed my life and can transform yours, too. Join with me for the January 16th worship and launch of “The Bible Year” at the link below:
After you worship with us via video, if God is speaking to your heart to begin this journey, know that the fact that people are starting at different places in their faith and Bible reading is a strength for learning and sharing. So don’t be concerned if you haven’t been good at reading the Bible in the past.
Also know that you are not on this journey alone. We are doing it together!
1. All participants will be reading the same scripture verses each day according to the daily devotional.
2. Each Sunday, worship and the sermon will be built around that week’s readings.
3. Sunday School at Strahan will be based on the week’s readings.
4. Starting February 3, you are encouraged to join in a small group, either in person, via Zoom, and/or a hybrid of both to discuss the readings together.
5. Weekly videos, podcasts and the sermons of the author of “The Bible Year” will be available to enhance the readings, or to catch you up if you have one of those weeks that runs you over (SEE ATTACHED).
6. Periodically, we will also have “start-ups” for new people to start “The Bible Year” or for those of you that got far behind and choose to start over.
The readings started on Wednesday, January 19. From January 19 through May 18, we will read from Genesis through Job, and then we will take a break before we engage the Psalms and the Prophets.
The first small groups will be hybrid groups (in person and Zoom) at Malvern UMC from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. and from 7:00-8:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 3. We will determine permanent places and times on Feb. 3, and hopefully will have enough people to break out into additional smaller groups. If a small group needs to take a break before we finish in May, the group can take an entire series off and continue the reading on their own until they are ready to start the group again. For example, “The Story Begins” ends February 19, so a small group could take a break through the series “Road Rules” that runs February 20 through March 15, 2022, and start up again on March 16 with the series, “The Cross-Shaped Life.”
The reading schedule is attached, and if you would like to buy the daily devotional, the book is $18.00. The books are available at the church. If you cannot make it to church and would like one delivered to you, please let me know. For our online worshippers, the book “The Bible Year” by Magrey Devega is available online through Cokesbury and Amazon. For those of you that want to participate and don’t have funds in your budget to purchase a book, the church will provide a book for you. Go ahead and pick one up. We are all in this together!
One more thing about small groups. Many of you have not joined our small groups in the past. However, I encourage you to join this time for these reasons:
1. Small groups are encouraged because they usually result in greater spiritual transformation for participants. It was through a small group that I was introduced to Jesus as my personal friend and Savior.
2. It is here in the safe space of small groups that you are welcomed, nurtured, and encouraged to ask the questions that you jotted down without hesitancy and to engage in discussion about them. We will join in covenant before we start our groups so everyone will know the boundaries required to maintain a safe space.
3. The small group allows you to share your insights into the readings to help others learn.
4. You may make new friends.
5. It is a place of mutual respect.
6. You may find through being a part of a small group, your commitment to Christ deepens and your spirituality matures.
7. Last, but not least, you may actually find that you enjoy reading the Bible instead of feeling like it is drudgery.
Give it a try! You will find out if you can do it or not. If it doesn’t work for you after trying, you will always have the opportunity to jump in on other sessions. Please join me on February 3 to find out more!
Bible Year Links
Podcasts: Find all podcasts from The Bible Project 2020 at Hyde Park UMC at this link.
Scroll to the bottom of the list for the earliest episodes.
Series 1—The Story Begins
Jan. 19-23, 2022-Week 1-Genesis 1-4
• The Bible Project 2020 Trailer
• The Bible Project 2020 Preview
• The Vision for The Bible Project 2020
• Interpreting the Bible
• Episode 1 // Genesis 1-14 // The Rev. Jim Harnish
• The Story Begins, Week 1 // The Rev. Magrey deVega
• The Story Begins, Week 1 // The Rev. Sally Campbell-Evans
Jan. 24-30, 2022-Week 2-Genesis 15-36
• Episode 2 // Genesis 15–36 // The Rev. Steve Harper
• The Story Begins, Week 2 // The Rev. Magrey deVega
• The Story Begins, Week 2 // The Rev. Justin LaRosa
Jan 31-Feb 6, 2022-Week 3-Genesis 15-36
• Episode 3 // Genesis 37–50 // The Rev. Emily Hotho
• The Story Begins, Week 3 // The Rev. Magrey deVega
• The Story Begins, Week 3 // The Rev. Justin LaRosa
Feb. 7-13, 2022-Week 4-Exodus 1-15:21
• Episode 4 // Exodus 1–15:21 // The Rev. Emily Hotho
• The Story Begins, Week 4 // The Rev. Magrey deVega
• The Story Begins, Week 14// The Rev. Justin LaRosa
Series 2—Road Rules
Feb 14-20, 2022--Week 5-Leviticus 1-27
• Episode 6 // Leviticus // Rabbi Joshua Lobel
• Road Rules, Week 1 // Nicki Taylor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdIzeVhPSj8
• Road Rules, Week 1 // The Rev. Justin LaRosa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPrq6vweLI
Feb 21-27, 2022--Week 6-Numbers 1-25
Podcasts: • Episode 7 // Numbers 1-25 // Chris Hockman
• Road Rules, Week2 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTmPNW0crI&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCa73uRj4gAPFXfCwS8tAx4T&index=6
• Road Rules, Week 2 // The Rev. Debbie Casanzio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkoyrfhXb4w&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCa73uRj4gAPFXfCwS8tAx4T&index=5
Feb 28-Mar 6, 2022--Week 7-Numbers 26-Deuteronomy 16
• Episode 8 // Numbers 26-Deuteronomy 20 // Rabii Richard Birnholz
• Road Rules, Week 3 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7nfXZ1UU1Q&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCa73uRj4gAPFXfCwS8tAx4T&index=3
• Road Rules, Week 3 // The Rev. Justin LaRosa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2lQwdmDxA&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCa73uRj4gAPFXfCwS8tAx4T&index=4
Mar 7-Mar 13, 2022--Week 8-Deuteronomy 21-Joshua 11
• Episode 9 // Deuteronomy 21-Joshua 17 // Dr. Ryan Bonfiglio
• Road Rules, Week 4 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSZOToAzbBk&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCa73uRj4gAPFXfCwS8tAx4T&index=2 •
Road Rules, Week 4 // The Rev. Sally Campbell-Evans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByTL4LTaCA&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCa73uRj4gAPFXfCwS8tAx4T&index=1
ar 14-20, 2022--Week 9-Joshua 18-Judges 21
Podcasts: • Episode 10 // Joshua 18-Judges 21 // Rev. Scott Smith
• Cross Your Heart, Week 1 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCxHRh7mVhQ
• Cross Your Heart, Week 1 // The Rev. Justin LaRosa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulGEolxzT5A
Mar 21-27, 2022--Week 10-Ruth1-4 and 1 Samuel 1 through 1 Samuel 17
Podcasts: • Episode 11 // Ruth – 1 Samuel // Rev. Emily Hotho
• Cross Your Heart, Week 2 // Ryan Hobson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyH4FrRDaI&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&ind ex=103
• Cross Your Heart, Week 2 // The Rev. Justin LaRosa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=- _Rdg_gKhDc&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&index=102
Mar 28-Apr 3, 2022—Week 11-1 Samuel 18 through 2 Samuel 10
Podcasts: • Episode 12 // 1 Samuel 18-2 Samuel 10 // Tim McNinch
Video Messages: • Cross Your Heart, Week 3 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pPdD3NFKgk&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&in dex=101
Apr 4-10, 2022--Week 12-2 Samuel 11 through 1 Kings 16
Podcasts: • Episode 13 // 2 Samuel 11-1 Kings 16 // Marilou Reed
Video Messages: • Cross Your Heart, Week 4 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8Lp7zh5CQ&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&ind ex=100
Apr 11-17, 2022—Week 13-1 Kings 17 through 2 Kings 21
Podcasts: • Episode 14 // 1 Kings 17-2 Kings 21 // Dr. Daniel Stulac
Video Messages: • Cross Your Heart, Week 5 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbGzjSFAM&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&index=99
Apr 18-24, 2022--Week 14-2 Kings 22 through 1 Chronicles 29
Podcasts: • Episode 15 // 1 Chronicles// Rev. Dr. Melody Knowles
Video Messages: • Cross Your Heart, Week 6 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl3dx0yD0I&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&index=98
Apr 25-May 1--Week 15-2 Chronicles 1-2 Chronicles 28
Podcasts: • Episode 16 // 2 Chronicles// Rev. Dr. Melody Knowles
Video Messages: • A Spiritual Makeover, Week 1 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUHhdd8yxQ&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&in dex=96
May 2-8, 2022--Week 16-2 Chronicles 29-36, Ezra, and Nehemiah 1-7
Podcasts: • Episode 17 // Ezra - Nehemiah// Rachel Wrenn
Video Messages: • A Spiritual Makeover, Week 2 // The Rev. Magrey deVega https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYhaXSlBWzg&list=PLkZWKYxP_yCbafMMuIaN1A9C_MPAnEW0j&in dex=95
Our pastor Joni Hickey welcomes you to all three of her churches in Malvern, Iowa; Strahan (rural Hastings) Iowa; and Wesley Chapel (rural Hastings) Iowa. She lives with her husband, Randy, near Thurman, Iowa. She became our pastor in June 2018. We’re excited to be her first clergical appointment!
Feel free to get in touch with Pastor Joni at anytime.
The three United Methodist churches under the auspices of Pastor Joni are part of a larger network within the UMC organizational structure. Click here to learn more.
P.O. Box 370
Malvern, IA 51551